My riding buddy got a humble bee sting today that taught us both a hard lesson or two. His adrenaline spiked big time according to the doctor which is why he actually blacked out on the trail as we were in one of the remotest spots. With absolutely no phone coverage, he stopped riding up the hill, started losing mental focus, collapsed on his bike, got up and wandered around a bit, and then lost all consciousness and toppled forward leaving me to quickly catch him before his face hit the gravel track. Very scary. A group of motorcyclists with support vehicles drove us back over the thirty kms we had just cycled to have him checked out by a doctor and cleared to ride again tomorrow.
A bee sting!? Who would’ve thought? Not an anaphylactic reaction either, just an adrenaline spike combined with the effects of a raised heart rate climbing a hill.
The decision to press the SOS button on my EPerb was much easier than I ever thought it would be. He wouldn’t give me his name when I asked it. I could tell he was scoffing at the question, so asked another. His date of birth. Again he held back and I told him I’d push the SOS button if he didn’t answer, so he did. Then suddenly he collapsed again onto the bike on his back, his eyes wide open and staring at the sky. I pushed the button.
After 14 minutes, we heard the sound of motorcycles. At first I thought they were the emergency response. They behaved like they were too. Not responding so much to me as focusing intently on my buddy who by this time was lying on the road and in a pretty bad way. They let us know a support vehicle was on its way and they’d be able to take us to Murchison with our bikes. Wayne stabilised a little, the vehicles arrived and that’s what they did.
The emergency service never arrived and we cancelled the SOS after around twenty minutes. The helipad we later saw out front of the medical centre suggested they would have probably taken us to the same place anyway. That’s once they got us out of where we were. There was nowhere to land a chopper where we were.
No internet, nowhere to land a chopper. We were kind of lucky it wasn’t more serious and that the guys came past when they did. A big thanks to them for caring and putting a stranger’s life first on their planned day of fun.
