Cockpit is an obvious term for the front of the bike, handlebars and controls. Although there’s a bit of variation amongst riders, there are also a few common elements. Most on the TA have Aerobars, raised forward-pointing bars that you can lean your forearms on to tuck your body in and lower wind resistance. I think they originated in Triathlon, so they’re also called tri-bars. They give you alternative hand and body positions to help avoid stiffness and RSI. A useful bonus from using these is also to give you more space than just your handlebars offer for gear and devices. I have my sleeping gear (tent and bag) strapped to them for example, a simple solution that avoids mounts and harnesses for those things. Many, like me, have a bike computer mounted between the Aerobars and others mount watch and or phone, or just paper copies of guide books and/or maps.
One of the most fun things about the TA, at least at the start, is the diet. A lot of the careful food choices typical of home go out the window when you’re using thousands of calories a day and your priority is energy. Pies and milkshakes are popular for sustenance and some important nutrients and shops and hospitality services in the know have both on hand for the riders coming through. I remember noticing the visible glee on one or more shop owners as the riders arrived and the pies began disappearing. Of course there’s also an abundance of electrolyte drinks and powders people use and try to replenish at 4 squares & bike shops. I tried a dairy electrolyte drink for what might be the first time after Wayne G mentioned that a sport coach he knew recommended them, and I was indeed impressed with the boost they gave me at times. I did read somewhere that the heart needs calcium for contractions and magnesium for de-contraction, so it’s good to ge...