Being a Software Developer, my tech is a big part of my life. On the TA, I took a Garmin 1040, a Fenix 7 watch, my iPhone, rechargeable headphones and lights - back and front. To keep things charged I also carried a light but long-lasting power bank and a little charger for non-tenting evenings. My Restrap top tube bag carried my power bank when riding so my phone was always charged or chargeable. It was a great setup. Even when tenting I always had enough charge in the 10k power bank to keep everything going.
The 1040 is for navigation mostly. Turn by turn directions courtesy of the TA GPX files here. I also use it for some performance and pacing stats and to warn of rear approaching traffic detected by the radar in my rear light. The Fenix is overkill in some ways and I hardly use it. The Apple Watch I left at home would be more useful really, as it has better paywave and integration with my phone. I got the Fenix because the battery is supposed to last a month. It doesn’t. It does last a lot longer than the Apple Watch, granted, but it still needs to be charged regularly from my experience. All it really does is avoid me having to wear a HR monitor to help with pacing.
The Radar in the back light is great and combined with eyes and ears helps with situational awareness, especially along the shoulderless West Coast roads. I have to charge it every day though as it only lasts about one and a half days of riding.
It is possible to ride with wired headphones, but wireless ones feel a bit safer and work better with a phone attached to the cockpit. I listen to music and books with those. They only last 6 hours or so before recharging, so that adds to the nightly charging routine.
Here’s the power bank I use. It’s light and charges the phone multiple times. Sitting in the top tube bag with an iPhone cable, a microUSB cable and a USB-A to -C table attached, I can give any of my devices a power boost if I need to when I am on the road. I have to use it for my iPhone 13 Pro most days, even with the phone in low power mode, but other devices too now and then.
