Maungatapu goat track today.
I can’t believe 4 wheel drive vehicles drive up that road let alone people on bikes. Simple gravel undulations to get there, then suddenly a steep rocky track rises to the right chilling the spine. Some eight kms of usually very rocky and mostly steep and uneven surface taking you 700 metres up. I biked as much as poss, getting about 360 up I think before losing my stamina and even nerve in places and hike-a-biking quite a bit. Down the other side was fairly strenuous at times too varying in steepness but often with same chunky loose rocks. My bike was perfect for the descent.
The two legs beforehand were nice, Picton to Havelock and Havock to Pelorus. Views out to Queen Charlotte were gorgeous and the weather was perfect to enjoy it. Some nice cafes both places too.
Passing through Canvastown after Havelock, I got to see where my Nana grew up. I tried to find the cemetery where she was buried in 2007, but had no luck in the short time we had.
On the other side on the Maungatapu, the Matai Valley spectacular too.
We camped by the beach at Taguna Holiday park after smoked salmon pizza and chips at the Sprig and Fern nearby.
